IT’S TIME TO MODERNIZE MEDICAL SCIENCE!
WHY: The Drug Development Process is Broken
- More than 90 percent of drugs that pass animal tests fail during human clinical trials because of safety problems or for lack of efficacy.
- Each new drug takes 10-15 years to develop & costs $1-6 billion. These costs are passed on to consumers in the form of high drug prices.
- But advanced testing methods that are based on human biology can better predict how humans will respond to drugs than animal tests.
HOW: The FDA Modernization Act of 2021 will save lives by
- Broadening options for drug developers to use testing methods that will best predict human safety and efficacy.
- Speeding up the discovery and lowering the costs of new life-saving treatments.
- Reducing animal testing